Fulbright Long-term Intensive English Program

Fulbright Long-term Intensive English Program

January  - July 2016

This program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. Only participants selected by the sponsor are eligible for the program.

  • Fulbright grantees attend over 60 Intensive English Programs (IEPs) throughout the U.S.
  • IIE selects these programs, in coordination with ECA, based on academic excellence, student services and facilities, geographic distribution, and dedication to the Fulbright Program.
  • IIE staff members closely monitor Fulbright students during their period of study, update their J-visa immigration status, and counsel them through any academic, physical or emotional issues.

We hope the information on this site will answer all of your questions.  If you need more information, please email your question to aecstp@ku.edu.

Travel Information

As soon as you receive your itinerary, please send a scanned copy to Geri Lamer at glamer@ku.edu.

Transportation to Lawrence from the airport

  • The Kansas City airport is a one-hour drive from Lawrence, Kansas where the University of Kansas is located.
  • After you provide your flight itinerary, Geri will make a shuttle reservation for you with a company that we have worked with for many years.  They know Lawrence and the AEC well and will take good care of you.
  • Do not take a taxi from the airport. The price for a taxi will be as much as twice the price of the shuttle that Geri will arrange for you. 
  • AEC staff will meet you when you arrive in Lawrence and help you get settled for the night.

Finding your shuttle at the Kansas City International Airport, Missouri (MCI)

  • The Kansas City airport is a small city airport and each airline has only one baggage claim area. 
  • Once you have collected your luggage, you should exit the airport through the doors directly opposite the baggage claim.  That is where the driver will be looking for you.
  • The driver will be in a van with a sign in the front window that says "University of Kansas".  The driver will have your name and arrival information – he will be looking for you.
  • If you have any delays along the way that would make your arrival flight different from the information you provided, please be sure to call me on my cell phone -- 1-785-550-8593.  You should be able to use the airline phone in any airport you experience the delay -- just ask the airline's customer service desk.  I will contact the shuttle company and make sure they will be there whenever you arrive.  You should also call this number if you have any problem finding your shuttle at the Kansas City airport.

We hope your journey is a safe one and we look forward to meeting you.

Housing and Meals
  • Participants are given a stipend for housing and meal costs
  • AEC assists in helping participant find a place to live.


Jayhawker Towers

  • “The Towers” offer students continuous occupancy (summer contracts are available).
  • Each apartment has two bedrooms.  You have a choice of living in either a 4-person (2 people in each bedroom) or a 2-person (private bedroom) apartment. 
  • Increased space, privacy, and independence while retaining the advantages of on-campus living
  • Close to classes, programs, and activities
  • Tenants’ association sponsors social events and provides input on community improvements.
  • Jayhawker Towers is a popular location and there is often a waiting list.


In each of these apartment complexes, you share the common living spaces (Living Room, Kitchen, and Dining Room) with roommates, but your bedroom and bathroom are private and secure (a separate key is provided for each bedroom/bath):


            - The Market; Kansas Union

            - Underground; Wescoe

            - Pulse Coffee

            - Hawk Stops

            - Crimson Café


In case of sickness, you should first go to the Watkins Student Health Center on campus.


  • As a student at the Applied English Center, you will be eligible for the full services offered by the Watkins Student Health Center at KU. You must have your KUID with you to receive medical treatment.
  • There is a charge for many services, including medications, x-rays and minor surgery. You or your health insurance company must pay these charges.
  • Prescriptions filled at the Student Health Center are not free, but they are less expensive than other pharmacies.
  • Dental care is not available at Watkins.

Regular office hours are:

  • Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
  • Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
  • Sunday: Closed

During student breaks, hours are:

  • Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
  • Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
  • Sunday: Closed

Appointment Line: 785-864-9507
Pharmacy: 785-864-9512
Automated Line: 785-864-9500
Emergency: 911

Health Insurance

You will be covered by KU student health insurance.

As a full-time student at the AEC, you will be able to see a doctor for free while you are at KU.

Any medical tests, medications or treatments you receive will be partially covered by your insurance but you will also be responsible for part of these costs. The exact distribution of charges will depend upon which tests, medication or treatments you require but, in general, insurance covers about 80% of your medical charges. During the break times between semesters, there will be a charge for visiting a doctor but your insurance will help pay for that charge.

Medical Check-in

In order to be allowed to enroll at KU, you must have:

  • two (2) Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccinations,
  • a Turberculosis test, and
  • a Meningitis vaccination

If you have an official vaccination record that shows you have already taken the MMR and/or Meningitis vaccinations in your home country, you can bring it with you. The record must be in English, show the date you took the vaccination, and be signed by a doctor.

In the US, the MMR vaccination contains three vaccines – one each for Measles, Mumps and Rubella.  In your country each of these vaccines might be given separately.  Your records must show two vaccinations for each disease.

The Tuberculosis test must be taken in the U.S., so any test results regarding TB that you bring from your country will not be accepted.

If you do not have the correct vaccination record, you will be required to take the vaccinations here. 

  • Your insurance will cover 100% of the cost of these required immunizations. 
  • If you think you have had these vaccinations but don’t have a record, the staff at Watkins will offer you the possibility of taking a blood test (called a titer test) to check your immunity levels.  Your insurance will not cover the costs of these tests.

The Applied English Center offers five levels of instruction (beginning through advanced) in the following areas:

Core Courses:
There are two core courses at each level: Reading/Writing/Grammar and Listening/Speaking/Grammar.  Core courses meet four days per week: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 

Support Courses:
Students in Levels 1-3 are required to enroll in a support course which will further develop what students learn in their core courses.  Support courses meet one day per week. 

Elective Courses:
Students in the upper levels can enroll in up to two elective courses designed to enhance their understanding of the English language and/or campus and community culture. Electives meet one day per week.

Contact Information

The office is open from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. You may call the office to contact ISP staff during those hours. During the evenings or weekends, if you need to speak with someone from the ISP, you should call 785-521-5944.

Emergency phone:  785-521-5944

ISP Office phone:  785-864-6161

Mindy Van House
Office: (785) 864-1496

Erin Greer Smith
Office: (785) 864-1557

Grace Marco
Office: (785) 864-6161

Geri Lamer
Office: (785) 864-1321

Aaron Huerter
Office: (785) 864-5316