October 15 - November 12, 2016
This program is sponsored by the government of Mexico. Only participants selected by the sponsor are eligible for the program.
The Applied English Center (AEC) of the University of Kansas welcomes students from México for four weeks during the fall 2016. They study English and U.S. culture in the classroom, and on one weekend they go on field trips. Students are taught and supported by AEC teachers and staff.
We hope the information on this site will answer all of your questions. If you need more information, please email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Proyecta Program arrival date is October 15, 2016.
It is very important that you arrive on time for your program.
As soon as you receive your itinerary, please email a scanned copy of your complete itinerary to Geri Lamer at email@example.com.
- You will be arriving at Kansas City International Airport (MCI).
- We will pick you up at the airport.
- Travel time from the airport to KU is about one hour.
- When we arrive in Lawrence, we will help you get checked into your dormitory.
Students will live with a roommate from the program in a double occupancy room in Naismith Hall on the University of Kansas Campus.
You will be provided with bed linens, a pillow and a towel.
Naismith Hall Amenities
- Every Resident Room Is Suite-style With Attached Semi-private Bath
- Vanity And Sink In Every Resident Room, With Regular In-room Housekeeping
- Lobby Lounge With 9-ft Fireplace, Large Screen TVs, Pool And Ping Pong Tables
- Swimming Pool And Sundeck
- Community Kitchen For Resident Use
- On-site Fitness Center
- Free On-site Tutoring
- Fully Air-Conditioned
- Basic Cable, High Speed Internet And Free Wifi Included
- 24-hour Computer Lab
- On-site Laundry Facilities
- Proyecta students will be provided 19 meals per week in the Naismith dining center.
In case of sickness, you should first go to the Watkins Student Health Center on campus.
WATKINS STUDENT HEALTH CENTER
- As a student at the Applied English Center, you will be eligible for the full services offered by the Watkins Student Health Center at KU. You must have your KUID with you to receive medical treatment.
- There is a charge for many services, including medications, x-rays and minor surgery. You or your health insurance company must pay these charges.
- Prescriptions filled at the Student Health Center are not free, but they are less expensive than other pharmacies.
- Dental care is not available at Watkins.
Regular office hours are:
- Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
- Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Sunday: Closed
During student breaks, hours are:
- Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
- Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Sunday: Closed
Appointment Line: 785-864-9507
Automated Line: 785-864-9500
You will be covered by KU student health insurance.
Because you are not a full-time student for the fall semester, there will be a small charge the first time you visit a doctor at Watkins. After paying that fee, you will be able to see a doctor for free the remainder of the time you are at KU.
In order to be allowed to enroll at KU, you must have:
- Two (2) Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccination
- a Meningitis vaccination
If you have an official vaccination record that shows you have already taken the MMR and/or Meningitis vaccinations in your home country, you can bring it with you. The record must be in English, show the date you took the vaccination, and be signed by a doctor.
If your vaccination record is not in English, you can print the form found at this link and ask your doctor to fill it out and sign it.
In the U.S., the MMR vaccination contains three vaccines – one each for Measles, Mumps and Rubella. In your country each of these vaccines might be given separately. Your records must show two vaccinations for each disease.
If you do not have the correct vaccination record, you will be required to take the vaccinations here.
Your classes will help you become more comfortable and confident using English and will help you understand American society better. You will also have opportunities to meet and talk with KU students and the people of Lawrence.
- Speaking, Listening and Grammar for Academic Purposes (10 hours/week)
- Reading, Writing and Grammar for Academic Purposes (10 hours/week)
- Conversation Groups (4 hours/week)
Trip to Kansas City
- First, we will take you on a tour of the facilities for Sporting KC (the professional soccer team for Kansas City).
- Then, you will have time to do some shopping at the Legends, a Kansas City outlet shopping center where you can find brand name items at discount prices.
The office is open from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. You may call the office to contact Geri Lamer or an AEC instructor during those hours. During the evenings or weekends, if you need to speak with someone from the AEC, you should call Geri Lamer.
Geri Lamer (Contact for emergencies)
Office: (785) 864-1321
Mobile: (785) 550-8593
Office: (785) 864-1307