Electrical Power Supply

The electrical current used in the United States is 110-125 volts AC (alternating current) and the frequency is 60Hz (cycles per second). This is different from that of many other countries.

If you bring electronics or appliances from home, you may need a voltage converter to make sure your appliances work properly. Without this, you may damage your electrical device.

NOTE: Chargers for mobile phones and computers MAY work on multiple power systems. Make sure to check any electronic devices that you are thinking about bringing to the US to see if you will need a voltage converter.

Small appliances such as hair dryers, irons, and rice cookers will likely need a voltage converter to function properly.

The U.S. also has a different plug shape than many other countries. Even if you have a voltage converter or a device that works on both power systems, you will probably need a device that adjusts to the American outlet shape.

NOTE: it may be easier to purchase a plug adapter and a voltage converter in your own country.

Here are some useful sites to find out more: